Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:57:19 -0700
From:      Deven Kampenhout <deven@netexplorer.org>
To:        Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Further question Re: cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC

I agree with you completely, Bob. The idea of keeping one "master
server" to push out updates to many is extremely useful when you are
maintaining a large number of similar systems. It is much less
work-intensive to maintain several hundred systems if they are running
on exactly the same configuration, kernel, etc. The only caveat is that
you must be extremely careful with any changes you make to the master,
and make certain that any changes that you make to your master system
are pushed out to all of the "leaf" systems. If not, then you get some
updates here and there on various systems and you may as well be running
different software on all of the machines. CVS is definately the way to
go, as it helps you to be disciplined about distribution. Just make sure
that the master server that is cvsuping is thoroughly tested before you
push things out, or you're heading for trouble very quickly :)