Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:40:00 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fsck doesn't recognize FreeBSD filesystems (9.2)

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:22:46 +0100, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> I just was wondering why the following did not work:
>
> root@isdn:/dev # mount /dev/ad6s1a /mnt/ad6s1a
> mount: /dev/ad6s1a: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run
> fsck.: Operation not permitted
> root@isdn:/dev # fsck /dev/ad6s1a
> fsck: Could not determine filesystem type <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> root@isdn:/dev # fsck -t ufs /dev/ad6s1a
> ** /dev/ad6s1a
> ** Last Mounted on /
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> 1867 files, 82726 used, 423761 free (3385 frags, 52547 blocks, 0.7%
> fragmentation)
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED CLEAN *****
>

> I had thought that FreeBSD could recognize its own filesystems (though
> this one is from an earlier version of FreeBSD)

What you're experiencing is fully normal and intended. The detection
mechanism is not based upon actual file system types, but instead
relies on what /etc/fstab defines (either by reference of the mount
point or the device file or associated label).

See "man fsck":

     The fsck utility invokes file system-specific programs to check the spe-
     cial devices listed in the fstab(5) file or in the command line for con-
     sistency.

If your /etc/fstab has an entry for /dev/ad6s1a or /mnt/ad6s1a with
the ufs file system specifier, both

	# fsck /dev/ad6s1a

and
	# fsck /mnt/ad6s1a