Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 00:53:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help /dev/sd01s1b gone after MAKEDEV all

Okay I solved the problem. Thanks to the people who suggested the
following tip.

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV sd0s1b

Now this would have worked if I had the Walnut Creek CD-ROM set. I could
then use the fixit option and used the live file system to recover. You
see chmod/chown sits in /usr/local/sbin. Since I couldn't mount my /usr
partition, ( did I forget to mention that)  MAKEDEV would die.

I solved the problem by doing the following:

1) Boot from install floppy
2) I select all the drives that were affected
3) Then used disklabel to set each partition back to there correct mount
point, with the Newfs option set to NO.
4) Clear my distribution set
5) then selected commit

Sysinstall then wrote out the disklabels, updated /dev, and ran a
fsck on all partitions. There was once side effect, my /etc/services file
had only 4 lines in it. Because of this,  syslogd would complain about a
missing syslogd/udp entry missing from /etc/services and exit with a
error message.

This little problem as solved by installing  the source for /etc in
/usr/src/etc. I then copied the full services file into /etc. Adjusted
/etc directory permissions. Rebooted

Now all is well.

Good Night
Many Thanks to those who helped.
Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com

BTW: If this was NT I  would be in hell. Why is NT so unforgiving ?

Also when you buy a FreeBSD CD-ROM set, buy the Walnut Collection. I had
the Infomagic FreeBSD/NetBSD combo. It is a very good set mind you, but if
I had that live file system CD-ROM, I would have solved this problem a
long time ago. Time to renew my subscription to FreeBSD.