Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:08:27 -0500
From:      Ken Key <key@cs.utk.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Ken Key <key@cs.utk.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot floppies for 2.2.5-STABLE that speak PCMCIA?

> > Ah, I've also been pulling the RELENG_2_2 tag via cvsup, which I now assume
> > maps to 2.2.5-STABLE.
>
> That is true, but you're not getting a SNAP, you're getting the bits.  A
> 'SNAP' is a snapshot/build of the sources at a particular point in time,
> while what you have is sources, but no binaries or any 'tested' build
> environment.

I understand.  My problem is mapping your use of the term 2.2.5-STABLE into
the externally visiable directory/filenames/tagnames I could find
on the various archives.  I'm still mounting the learning curve of FreeBSD
version and branching terminology.  So is it accurate to say that
2.2.5-STABLE == the head of the cvsup RELENG_2_2 tag?  Does the
2.2-STABLE that Brain Handy meantion == 2.2.5-STABLE or are they
actually separate branches?

> I don't think there have been any SNAP's that have been made since 2.2.5
> was released, so any 2.2 SNAPS won't have any post-2.2.5R changes in
> them.

releng22.freebsd.com and current.freebsd.com have new 2.2-*-SNAP daily
directories for the past few weeks. Your statement above makes it
sound like they are not the result of the RELENG_2_2 tag at the time
of the auto checkout/build but just 2.2.5-RELEASE?  But I'm building
from source, so it doesn't matter to me.

> There shouldn't be any failure modes interacting badly with PAO.  You
> just need to make sure to update your /etc files with the FreeBSD
> versions when you do your upgrade like you would do with *ANY* source
> upgrade and it should go fine.

I'm did a wholesale whack on /usr/src/ with RELENG_2_2 as of this morning,
so I'm not as concerned now.  I've only been on FreeBSD for the past month,
so I wasn't sure if it would try to patch on top of the PAO patched files.
Since I nuked them all, not a problem (I hope.  Still waiting for the
compile to finish before starting the install.)

> > However, it now sounds like my choice for doing the wipe means putting PAO
> > back on after partitioning/newfs'ing and then cvsup/build/upgrade.
>
> If you put PAO back, then you're in the same boat you are in now.

Exactly.  It allows me to get a working network connection to pull down
source to compile/install the non-PAO PCMCIA/network support.  The PAO
boot floppy is what allows me to install v2.2.2 on the ThinkPad to begin
with.  I need it or a non-PAO floppy boot/install that can use the PCMCIA
network card to the 2.2.5-STABLE parts down on my system.  The boot.flp
in 2.2-971120-SNAP doesn't do this. (I know I could do the floppy shuffle,
but I'd set up a hardwired SLIP linkbefore I stooped to that.  I wish I
still had that Xircom PE3...)

thanks for your help,
K^2
--