Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   aic0 troubles... Can CAM be disabled in FreeBSD-CURRENT?

	Unfortunately, I was bit by the aic situation too.  I have an AIC 1520B
card running on a 3.0-08311998-SNAP running with no problems. Then I
decided it was time to take the big plunge and upgrade to ELF.
	Before I did this, I noticed this lack of aic support problem
on the current mailing list, and discovered that it wouldn't run
under CAM.
	Since I had seen an `options CAM' in my GENERICupgrade
kernel after cvsuping to the latest sources (I thought), I assumed that
CAM was optional, and as long as I didn't upgrade to it (regardless of
whether I had ELF or not), I would be fine.
	So I backed up GENERICupgrade, then made the changes of
getting rid of the `option CAM' and the `da' and `sa' devices before
doing a `make aout-to-elf-build', `shutdown now', and `make aout-to-
elf install'.
	After the aout and elf stuff was built in /usr/obj, it began
the upgrade process in building the kernel, and then with `make depend':

... blah blah ...
cc: ../../dev/aic6x60/aic.c: No such file or directory
cc: ../../i386/isa/aic_isa.c: No such file or directory

(These did exist in the ../../compile/GENERICupgrade directory, however...
$ ls aic*
aic.h
aic7xxx_reg.h
aic7xxx_seq.h
aicasm
aicasm.o
aicasm_gram.c
aicasm_gram.o
aicasm_scan.c
aicasm_scan.o
aicasm_symbol.o
).

	What gives here?  Did I have to do something special to disable
CAM besides getting rid of options CAM.  Is CAM really "built-in" so
there's no way to disable it in CURRENT?  Is it a requirement for ELF?
Did I have any business assuming I could disable CAM just because I saw
it as an option to the GENERICupgrade config file?

	By the way, my computer is in single user mode as I write.
Can I safely reboot the system and restart it with my old kernel (the
ELF binaries were not installed yet...) with no problems until the
aic drivers are rewritten?
	Where can I find out more about CAM anyway?

	Thanks,

	-Rob