Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:39:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, patpro@patpro.net
Subject:   Re: reading hardware properties

Patrick Proniewski wrote:
 > I would like to read some informations from my hardware, without the
 > need of a physical intervention. I'm mainly interested in reading
 > info of the RAM : manufacturer, frequency, ... even reference number
 > if available.
 > Is there any piece of software around that can allow this ?

Try ports/sysutils/dmidecode.  Requires a BIOS that has a
DMI-compliant interface, though.  Works perfectly fine on
most Compaq/HP ProLiant machines, for example, and displays
the population of all RAM slots in great detail, among
other things.

On a HP ProLiant DL360 G4p, it prints about 800 lines of
information, including the following:

    Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 23 bytes.
    Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 512 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: 1
        Locator: DIMM 01
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 400 MHz (2.5 ns)

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
        -- Mother Teresa