Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:03:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing help needed!

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, michael dorin wrote:
> Recently I posted a message regarding getting ppp going between
> my isp and my small network.  ppp is working fine, but I can't seem
> to route anything using bsd as the gateway, except stuff the comes
> off of bsd.

You must have missed my response.  Or not liked it :)

> How do I route things from the ethernet over to the network?
>
> I have six static ip address.
>
> xxx.xxx.xxx.233 is where the ppp connection comes up.
> xxx.xxx.xxx.234,235,236,237,238 are my other routed addresses.

You can't do it that way.  The ppp connection has to have an IP
address outside of the space your LAN uses. You should use .233
for the ethernet interface on your FreeBSD machine and some other
address, outside of your /29, on the serial port.  Your ISP should
have some subnets that are used for just this purpose.

If you have only one host on the "inside" that needs a real IP
address then you coulde use xxx.xxx.xxx.233/30 (255.255.255.252)
for the PPP connection, xxx.xxx.xxx.237 for the ethernet and
xxx.xxx.xxx.238 for that one machine.

I'd suggest running ppp -alias, it's painless and works quite well.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com