Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:18:09 +0000
From:      "Arthur J. Constantine" <arthur.constantine@ccompute.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Novice, 2.1.5, 2940Ultra and SNAP disk, help

Hi
I am trying to install freebsd 2.1.5 on my computer with the SNAP disk
2.2-961014 (due to 2940 Ultra disk controller).
At Boot I get the following inconsistancy :
Boot@0x10000: 640/65472k
I have 128K of memory.
After booting the Kernel I go into the visual editor and remove all the
unwanted drivers leaving (fdc0,lpt0,sio0,sio1,sc0,all PCI, and piix0 an
unknown device, which if removed causes a reboot).
I then go into the OPTIONS editor and change the Release name from 2.2-
961014-SNAP to 2.1.5-RELEASE and set the Media type to CDROM.
then chose the Novice setup and set the geometry to get the C=> Flags,
choose BootMgr,and then Auto for the Disk label editor, then minimal
dist. and having answered Yes carry on, it then does :
newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rsd0 ..
and then:
extracting bin into / directory ...
this get through to:
"Saving any boot -c changes to new Kernel ..."
at which point I get plastered across the screen
"Fatal signal 11 caught!  I'm dead .."
I have the following Hardware set-up :

TMC Motherboard : Pentium 166, 128K EDO RAM, 512K cache.
                               (tried 64K, 256K Cache)
AHA - 2940 AU PCI SCSI Controller
Soundblaster AWE PnP,(ISA)     (Tried removing this).
Trident 9000 VGA card.(ISA)
Harddrive Micropolis 1991AV 9.1 GB
Dos installed on a 1GByte partition.

Q. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
Q. What is fatal signal 11, is this IRQ 11, or is it to do with S/W?
Q. What should I do to overcome this problem?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

E-mail: arthur.constantine@ccompute.demon.co.uk
--
Arthur J. Constantine