Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:10:55 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Todays RELENG_4_6 can't boot with ncr810 on kernel.GENERIC

Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> DS> Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> writes:
> DS> > For the reference, I'd solved the problem by inserting floppy drive, boot
> DS> > from 4.6-R install floppies, fixit, and ftp kernel with sym from build
> DS> > machine.
> DS>
> DS> Couldn't you just boot kernel.old and use that to build and install a
> DS> kernel with the appropriate driver?
>
> Of course, your're [almost] right in your assumption. However, as I said,
> there's extremely unlucky day [tm] ;-P -- old kernel somehow didn't
> managed to boot properly. So, I've found myself with a [vital] machine
> without either bootable kernel or floppy drive.
>
> Anyway, main point of my posting was pointing out the fact that kernel
> built from today's RELENG_4_6 GENERIC probed ncr _before_ sym. Which
> leads to trouble, you see.

The first time I went up to -stable, GENERIC wouldn't boot because I
need some specific compile-time adjustments and driver settings that
GENERIC doesn't have.  So now I build and install /kernel.GENERIC,
then build and install my normal kernel as /kernel.  This works very
well, and it gives me GENERIC sitting back there if I need it.  I also
build an emergency kernel, installed to /kernel.emerg, which is an
unstripped super-noisy debug kernel tuned to be as conservative as
possible.  It as all the non-essential stuff removed and doesn't need
to kldload anything.