Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:26:48 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up a local nameservice.

Actually, there is a MUCH easier way, as Sue got me started learning (and I
fleshed out myself), and everything is now working to my satisfaction.

(1) In BSD, comment out BIND in /etc/host.conf, then in /etc/hosts, add the
IP addresses and names of all PC's on the local network.

(2) On the win95 end of things, edit the file "hosts.sam" in \windows with
essentially the same parameters, and copy it to a file named "hosts" in
\windows.

At this point everything is up and running, and you're not limited to any
special IP addresses.  I'm using 1.1.1.1 (desktop.local.net) for my main PC
(easy to remember) and 1.1.1.2 (extra.local.net) for my secondary machine.

Much easier, and 1.1.1.1 / 1.1.1.2 are not likely to be real Internet
addresses, so it eliminates confusion on that end as well.

Thanks for the tutorial though, I'll save it for future reference, as it
might come in handy sometime.

At 11:50 PM 6/14/98 +0100, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 02:28:47PM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>> Is there any way to run named (I.E. so I can use http://extra-pc.local.net
>> instead of http://123.123.123.1 (which is the IP address I chose for my
>> BSD box) without having to go through the InterNIC and all that?
>
>Yes. Here's an outline below. If you can flesh this out and want to submit
>this as documentation based on your experiences, that would be great.
>
>The basic premise is as follows: you're going to create a private network
>for your own use. This network contains one or more machines. One machine
>will be connected to the Internet (is the 'gateway'), all the other machines
>connect through the gateway.
>
>Any IP addresses and/or hostnames that you use on your internal network
>*will not be visible* to the wider Internet. This is a very important point.
>
>You're going to need two sorts of nameservice. Firstly, you need a way for
>hosts on your network to look up IP addresses of machines that they connect
>to on the wider Internet. Secondly, you need to be able to assign your
>internal machines IP addresses, safe in the knowledge that they won't
>clash with anyone elses.
>
>Your network numbers can be in one of three blocks:
>
>   10.0.0.0 thru 10.255.255.255
>
>or
>
>   172.16.0.0 thru 172.31.255.255
>
>or
>
>   192.168.0.0 thru 192.168.255.255
>
>(see the comments in your /etc/hosts file). These addresses *must not* be
>propogated on to the Internet. As long as everyone follows this rule it
>means that you can use them and know that they won't clash. Someone,
>somewhere, has 123.123.123.1, and you're using it. This will eventually
>cause problems.
>
>For simplicities sake (because I can cut-n-paste most of my config) this
>example is going to assume that you're using addresses from the 192.168
>set.
>
>Now to create your local DNS. Since it's local you can have any names you
>want, including your own top-level domain. For this example, lets assume
>that you want all your machines to be in the .tim top level domain, with
>machines like smtp.tim, www.tim, news.tim, and so on.
>
>You will need to configure a nameserver to be authoritative for this domain,
>and then tell all the machines on your network to look up their names from
>this nameserver.
>
>Imagine your network is set up like this (keep in mind that a computer can
>have multiple IP addresses)
>
>   IP            Host       Description
>   192.168.1.1   gw.tim     Gateway, connected to the Internet. All
>                            other machines are told that this IP is their
>                            default route.
>
>   192.168.1.2   ns-1.tim   The (first) nameserver. All machines are told
>                            to use this for their nameservice.
>
>   192.168.1.8   smtp.tim   Incoming and outgoing SMTP (mail)

> [...]

My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.