Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      andrewr  <andrewr@slack.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible security "risk" in ftp client

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> I think there are good reasons (and this is one of them) to disable
> the environment-dumping option of ps.  Unfortunately it is probably
> too well-entrenched to kill.  I had totally forgotten about it until
> this discussion began.
>
> -GAWollman

For awhile now, I've been wanting to change alot of things dealing with ps
and proc.  What I mean is, privacy.  I believe there should be an option
on install or perhaps a patch to ps(1), w(1), and who knows what others,
that will not allow normal users to view the processes of other normal
users (or superusers for that matter).  However, /proc is a way for a
normal user to view what programs are being run for what id, and the uid
is easy enough see (ls -l), (thanks jtb).  Don't you think this should be
an optional patch?

Andrew