Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:11:45 -0600
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PERC3 SCSI RAID firmware upgrade dell poweredge 1650

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

hi all

does anyone on the list have any production dell poweredge 1650 servers?

we have several.  we recently got a memo from our dell reps that there is a=
 firmware upgrade to the PERC3 dual channel SCSI raid cards.  this firmware=
 upgrade is supposedly a preventative measure - apparently, dell has had so=
me experience with the cards not being able to recover after one of the rai=
d controllers goes down, they explained to me on the phone that this firmwa=
re upgrade is pretty much mandatory.

of course, since our boxen are running freebsd 4.6-4.9-RELENG, the dell rep=
 who came over to our server room to run the firmware upgrade would not tou=
ch them.  he left a disk for me to do this myself - apparently, the the fir=
mware upgrade involves booting to a cdrom which applies the firmware for yo=
u, rebooting, then hitting control-m to get into the perc3 management conso=
le, running a consistency check (could take an hour or so), then rebooting =
into the o/s.  they informed me that i would not have to upgrade the kernel=
 or download patches for freebsd's native scsi raid drivers for this card.

has anyone applied the firmware upgrade to their own dells?  seems relative=
ly straightforward, but thought i'd check with the list before taking down =
machines that have been running flawlessly for almost a year to apply somet=
hing which may be arbitrary...

thanks
redmond

--=20
FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Feb 11 13:58:31 CST 2=
004
 6:00PM  up 5 days,  3:26, 4 users, load averages: 0.21, 0.18, 0.29
=20
Conceit causes more conversation than wit.
		-- LaRouchefoucauld
=20

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn--