Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 22:16:34 +0100
From:      "lango" <lango@home.se>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Disable DMA in kernel?

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C04CF6.37DE5F80

Yeah I am a freeBSD newbie and I have a lame disk that doesn't work very =
well with DMA although it says it does. I know how to disable dma with =
the command sysctl -w hw.atamode=3Ddma,--,pio,pio. ( I have a 19 Gb disk =
on ata0 and a 8 Gb disk and a Atapi cdrom on ata1, Win2000 on disk0ata0 =
and freebsd on disk0ata1, I have the bootstrap on disk1ata1). I cant't =
get it to work automatically in the boot process when i use sysctl.conf =
in /etc. It say's in the man that sysctl should read in this file but it =
doenst change the settings. my sysctl.conf look like this
hw.atamode=3Ddma,---,pio,pio
I can't use DMA since it produces a lot of write errors so I want a way =
to disabel DMA in the kernel/bootprocess so you dont have to type it in =
every time. The ideal thing would be to disable it when i compile a new =
kernel since it produces write errors early in the boot process...

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C04CF6.37DE5F80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yeah I am a freeBSD newbie and I have a =
lame disk=20
that doesn't work very well with DMA although it says it does. I know =
how to=20
disable dma with the command sysctl -w hw.atamode=3Ddma,--,pio,pio. ( I =
have a 19=20
Gb disk on&nbsp;ata0 and a 8&nbsp;Gb disk and a&nbsp;Atapi cdrom on =
ata1,=20
Win2000 on disk0ata0 </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>and freebsd on =
disk0ata1, I=20
have the bootstrap on disk1ata1</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>).&nbsp;I cant't=20
get it to work automatically in the boot process&nbsp;when i use =
sysctl.conf in=20
/etc. It say's in the man that sysctl should read in this file but it =
doenst=20
change the settings. my sysctl.conf look like this</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>hw.atamode=3Ddma,---,pio,pio</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can't use DMA&nbsp;since it produces =
a lot of=20
write errors so I want a way to disabel DMA in the kernel/bootprocess so =
you=20
dont have to type it in every time. The ideal thing would be to disable =
it when=20
i compile a new kernel since it produces write errors early in the boot=20
process...</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C04CF6.37DE5F80--