Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:47:22 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum - How long does it take to perform operation X?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday, 15 October 1999 at 17:02:56 +0100, Adam Nealis wrote:
> > 3.3-STABLE (as per a cvsup and update from 14 October).
> >
> > Just starting out with vinum, I've read vinum(4) and vinum(8).
> >
> > I'm trying to create a mirrored volume of 2 x 9GB drives.
> >
> > These drives are /dev/da1s1e and /dev/da2s1e, and are
> > pristine, newfs'd volumes.
>
> You shouldn't be able to newfs a Vinum drive.  Vinum requires
> partitions of type vinum, newfs requires partitions of type 4.2BSD.
Fair enough. The point of mentioning that was to say they had no data
on them, and should only need converting to vinum partitions.

> > I don't mount them on boot either, as I quickly discovered vinum
> > dumps core if you try to operate on mount devices.
>
> If you get any kind of dump from Vinum, I want to know about it.
Would you like me to send you the next vinum.core I get?

I didn't mention I was finding it very easy to get panics, and
once I got a complete lock up! Meaning I had to power cycle the
box to reboot it.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing something(s) wrong, but is it
really this easy to hang a box using vinum?

> > Looking at vinum(8), in "HOW TO SET UP VINUM" section 2, I
> > created a config file /etc/vinum.cf containing
> >
> > drive d1 device /dev/da2e
> > drive d2 device /dev/da3e
> >  volume mirror
> >    plex org concat
> >       sd length 10m drive d1
> >    plex org concat
> >       sd length 10m drive d2
> >
> > The 10m is just to avoid waiting an age to find out what happens.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> > I do
> >
> > bash 2.03# vinum create -v /etc/vinum.cf
> >    1: drive d1 device /dev/da2e
> >
> > Well, after about 30 minutes, I ^C'd this as nothing more
> > had happened.
>
> You can do this as soon as disk activity stops, typically about 10
> seconds.
Indeed, as I discovered later on in the evening I posted this message.

> > I decided to clear out any cruft with
> >
> > bash 2.03# vinum resetconfig
> >
> > Enter Text -> NO FUTURE
> >
> > and it's been over an hour and the command doesn't seem to have
> > completed.
>
> That should be just about instantaneous.
When I ^C'd that one I got a message saying that the operation had
completed. I may have tried it again later, and caused a panic.

> > What's happening?
>
> Looks like you have a hang.
>
> > I don't understand why this is taking so long.  I'm becoming
> > confused!
>
> I haven't seen this before.  What does 'ps lawx' say?  Output to a
> file and then attach it.
>
> After that, reboot your machine and try the 'vinum create' again.  If
> it hangs, I'd like to see the output of 'ps lawx' at that point.
I'll try and do this.

I'll also figure out how to put in a debug kernel, etc.

Adam.