Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:52:13 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Wei Hua Ni <whni@mie.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ask for help

> Wei Hua Ni wrote:
>
> Hello there,
>
> I tried to build a custom kernel by following the instructions in
> the book called "The Complete FreeBSD’, but did not succeed. Here is

If I remember correctly, the book didn't have you do the sequence

cd /sys/i386/conf
config NOV2000
cd /sys/compile/NOV2000
make depend
make
make install

You will catch a lot of flak for sending HTML based email to a unix
list. You should switch Outlook Express in to text mode. Then, you
should fold your text at 70 columns.

> the error message:
>
> In file included from ../../isofs/cd9660/cd9660_bmap.c:43:
>
> ../../sys/vnode.h:457: vnode_if.h: No such file or directory
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> The build directory is /usr/src/sys/compile/NOV2000
>
> The configuration file is called NOV2000, which is sent to you as an
> attachment.
>
> I have the set of four CDs which came with the book. The FreeBSD
> version is 3.1. My machine’s CPU is AuthenticAMD AMD-K6tm with
> multimedia extensions and has 64 MB RAM. Could you help me out with
> the problem or give me some hints?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Wei-hua Ni
>
>               Name: NOV2000
>    NOV2000    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>           Encoding: quoted-printable

This type of attachment requires people to save the attachment before
they can look at it. I don't know you and I don't save files from
strangers on my system.

Next, I don't think the K6 is considered a 686 class cpu but is a 586.
So, if you had succeeded in building the kernel, it wouldn't have
booted properly. The K7 is a class 686 cpu. You will have to check
with dmesg to see what class cpu is recognized at the boot time. If it
is a 586, you will need to add the line

cpu             "I586_CPU"

FWIW, I find it much easier to diagnose misconfigurations if you leave
the options but just comment them out by adding a "#" in column 1.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA