Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:38:26 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp and mail much slower into fbsd 4.4 vs and old BSDi

At 6:05 PM -0400 7/1/02, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

>Why so many applications go to the trouble to disable Nagle's
>algorithm is beyond me.  I suspect the socket option has too
>seductive of a name.

I suspect someone had a specific case where Nagle's algorithm
causes a real problem.  They turn on TCP_NODELAY for that
situation, see a huge improvement, and assume that it is a
good idea to always turn on TCP_NODELAY.

We had one case here were reloading a MOO database through a
network connection took something like 5 hours.  Turning on
TCP_NODELAY reduced the time to about 10 minutes.  We got all
excited about that, and tried TCP_NODELAY in a number of other
situations in the same MOO.  In all other cases the option
either hurt performance or did not help it enough to care about...