Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:02:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Cosmos Boekell <boekell@cs.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: server

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Cosmos Boekell wrote:

> i want to purchase or build a server (i.e. dns, nfs, ftp, http, login,
> etc.) and want to run free bsd.  i can spend up to $2000 maybe
> $2500.  please let me know your thoughts (i.e. P III vs. AMD,

I've been running AMD processors with no trouble at all. The only
difference I can see is a) Intel costs you $200 extra because you have
to pay for their advertising campaigns, and b) Intel has a lock (for
now) on some weird MPEG decoder, which won't matter for a server.

> motherboards, RAID,

The generic motherboards I've used have all worked, but that may have
been dumb luck. Never dealt with RAID; sorry. You may want to look at
vinum for RAID info.

> SCSI vs. EIDE,

SCSI is fast and, speaking as an engineer, a much more 'elegant' way to
do disk drives (supports many disks on one CPU). However EIDE is a
fraction of the cost per gigabyte, and it's hard to argue with that for
a single-disk system. It all depends on your needs.

> rack vs. tower, etc.)

At a basic level, it doesn't matter. This will be determined entirely by
your requirements. If you're in a tight colocation space where you only
get a few rack units, go for the rack-mount. If you have a nice office
and space is not such an issue, the tower will probably be cheaper to
buy. Depending on where you buy it, the rack-mount chassis may offer
some features not available in a generic tower. I'm thinking of things
like hot-swappable redundant power supplies, serial port on the front
panel, redundant fans, and so on.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape