Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:35:26 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A SECOND RAZOR/BINDVIEW ADVISORY !!! FreeBSD Admins ARE vulnerable !!!

* Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de> [001205 07:25] wrote:
> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> nice piece of parody. :-)
> Are you referring to:
> http://razor.bindview.com/publish/advisories/adv_NAPTHA.html ?
>
> What about the paragraph:
> - FreeBSD 4.0-REL became unusable after 495 connections to the ssh
> port. Each connection started an instance of the daemon which quickly
> exhausted available file handles; the system reports "too many open
> files in system". After approximately 30 minutes the connections start
> timing out and the system becomes usable again.

The problem with sshd was fixed several months ago, before FreeBSD
4.1 came out.

FreeBSD's sshd is modified to throttle and quickly drop unauthorized
connections so this probably doesn't apply.  Even if it did cause
some sort of resource problem it would be trivial to track the
idiot down and break his arms and legs like my advisory suggests.