Date:      Sun, 19 May 2013 20:42:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer Aspire One D250 && special function keys

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:33:14 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a 10-CURRENT r250588 on that laptop, which has some special
> function keys, for example Fn+Down and Fn+Up to control the sound
> volume; how could I manage to get them to work? On my other netbook, an
> Asus EeePC 900, I have to load the kmod acpi_asus.ko to get the
> corresponding keys (Fn+F8/F9) working.

Did you use xev to check if those keys generate a unique
code or symbol? If not, try loading one of the present
/boot/kernel/acpi_*.ko modules to see if one of them can
enable the functionality. Of course none of the present
ones look as if it would support a Acer Aspire One D250,
but go ahead and try. :-)

If the keys don't work per se (like for comparison the
Fn+PageUp key on some IBM laptops to switch the keyboard
light on and off - totally independent from the OS -, you
need to make sure they emit a code or symbol (you can add
that with xmodmap) and then have some program "pick it up"
and act accordingly (e. g. calling "mixer vol +10" and
"mixer vol -10" for the volume control).

The x11/xev program from ports is a nice indicator to check
what's working "out of the box", compared to additional
ACPI modules in action.

For example, I found the Fn + cursor keys on an Lenovo R61i
send specific key codes, but no action per default. Instead,
the keyboard light does not send any key code, but works.
Maybe volume and brightness keys are handled in a similar
way on your machine...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany