Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:56:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Peter Salvage <wizard@sybaweb.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig question

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Peter Salvage wrote:

> Since switching it back on, the hubs that both nic's are connected
> to, show collision lights for those ports only, permanently. In
> other words, the collision lights are on ALL the time. My concern
> is that I have a media mis-match, as all hubs are half-duplex by
> design and both cards are running full-duplex.

You can try to force the cards into half-duplex by doing:

   ifconfig rl0 inet x.x.x.x media 100baseTX mediaopt half-duplex

Of course, if you only have a 10Mbit network, then use 10baseT/UTP
instead.

> Looking through the man page for ifconfig, it appears I need to do the
> following for both interfaces:
> ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP
> ifconfig rl1 media 10baseT/UTP
>
> Am I correct? Will I lose the IP addresses and/or other parameters by typing
> the above commands in?

No, the you won't lose the IP addresses, but you might lose network
connectivity if 10baseT/UTP isn't correct!  Best to practice on the
console first (if possible), until you have a good feeling about
ifconfig and the physical network itself.

-Paul.