Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 20:04:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Holm Tiffe <freebsd@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Arrgh ! resubscribing again again again....

> > TL> You don't *have* to do that.  You *could* shutdown your X server and
> > TL> restart it.  You simply choose to have your demons die, instead of
> > TL> doing this and/or limiting the amount of VM available to the X server
> > TL> and Netscape, or disabling the X shm extensions.
> >
> > Terry, your explanation is ok. But what X-server should I shutdown?
> > For I don't have any X's. And yesterday I repeated 'make -j64 buildworld',
> > and as always: sendmail childs die with SIGSEGV, cron seems to be in
> > memory, but no cron jobs run. And all that after makeworld has finished,
> > system is _absolutely_ idle.
>
> Interesting.  Clearly, you're not the person running Netscape to
> cause a similar problem.  8-).

I'am that person, but Terry I have never sayed that this problem
only occurs when I run netscape !

This was only an easy to reproduce example, any big job on that
lousy 486 triggers the same set of problems.

> Do you have any zombie processes?

No zombies at all, but childs from system programs and any other
program that was paget out, are getting killed by a segfault.
Non - forking programs in the background are runnig fine so far.
Maybe that fork's copy from the process space gets corrupted after
an VM exhaust ?

> Have you looked at the vmstat output?
>
> If you kill -HUP cron, what happens?
>
> If you kill -HUP sendmail, what happens?

I'll try that.

> Did you get any errors in the buildworld, or did it complete without
> damaging itself (only damaging sendmail and cron)?

Long time ago, that I have build worlds on that machine.
Installworld is working fine.

> Are you overclocking your CPU?

No.

> How much memory do you have -- is it enough that if you missed a
> refresh cycle or two (say, because you did something silly, like
> a buildworld with -j64 and you have an Adaptec controller with a
> high bus-on time, or you are using a PIO IDE controller, etc...),
> that the upper memory contents might degrade and cause these problems?

Terry Terry, there are several guys here, all claiming about the same
refresh problem ? Oh no.

This is easy to reproduce, just put memory out of your computer
and let run big jobs.

[..]

> It would be nice to know if this problem was the result of running
> out of VM, or if you can cause it by load without actually exhasting
> the VM...
>
> Makeworld takes a while; have you tried putting a crontab entry that
> spits the time out to the console once a minute, and bracketing the
> buildworld with "date"?

Interesting idea.

> Maybe it's a particular section of the tree, and not the load, that's
> getting you?  Perhaps that region of the disk is corrupt?

And that netscape thing by me ?
I'll try to give you an other example tomorrow.

Holm