Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 09:20:10 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>
To:        ROANE.CLINTON@COATESVILLE.VA.GOV
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FREEBSD.ORG, roane0616@aol.com
Subject:   Re: Help Installing

ROANE.CLINTON@COATESVILLE.VA.GOV wrote:

> Hello, If this is not the correct place for this question could you please
> forward it to the correct place.
>
> I am installing from floppies right now (I know, its the real hard way but
> money is tight.  I plan to purchase the cd in a few months).  I have the
> images for booting and it works fine.  To install the rest of the required
> packages this is how I understand to do it:
>
> copy all of the files needed for /bin (/bin/bin.aa & /bin/bin.ab)etc. to
> one floppy.  As many as I can get on a floppy and do the same with all of
> the necessary bin files, is this correct?

And the bin.inf on the first floppy.  This is covered in INSTALL.TXT and
ABOUT.TXT.

> Then do the same with the other
> packages.  Is this correct.  I think I'm reading this correctly.  What I
> want is the basic files needed to run FreeBSD right now including a few
> different shells and come C/C++ stuff.  and If possible maybe KDE.  PLEASE
> HELP.

Compiler programs are part of the bin distribution.

I recommend that you plan the install that you have the bin, manpages and doc.
Once you have FreeBSD configured then use sysinstall or ports to install the
XFree86 stuff.  The Packages are not chunked into files small enough to fit on a
floppy so there is not a supported way yo deal with their install from floppy.

--
 Kevin G. Eliuk                             ))    ))  ))        ))    ))