Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:56:40 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to add flags to ifconfig at boot

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:04:18AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> writes:
>
> > How can I add flags to ifconfig at boot time, i.e. I want it to start
> > with 'ifconfig em0 -tso' ?
>
> Add the flag to the ifconfig_em0 line in rc.conf(5).

Or if one needs to ifconfig earlier in the startup process then put
one's script in /etc/start_if.em0

I don't know what -tso does, but the start_if thing comes in very handy
if one changes the MAC address on a NIC, say, for cable modem use
without "bothering" one's ISP tech support. Also for setting the MAC
address at boot before dhclient starts.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net