Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:29:35 +0800
From:      Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How To create msdosfs on HD?

I have an old IDE 3.5 hard drive with FBSD Release 7.0 on it. I want to
use it for USB disk space on XP. I bought a 'CD-r king' hard drive to
USB cable. It will work with 2.5 & 3.5 IDE drives and sata drives. When
I plug the USB end of the cable into a FBSD system I can mount the 3.5
IDE 7.0 HD's da0s1a, da0s1d, da0s1e and da0s1f file systems with no
problem. But when I plug the same drive into a XP system the USB drive
shows in system/devices/hard drives as there but windows explorer does
not assign a drive letter for it. I'm thinking this is because the hard
drive has UFS format and maybe it I reformat it to fat format xp will
assign a drive letter to it.

I know mount_msdosfs command is used to mount a HD formated with fat,
but I could not find a FBSD command to create a msdos file system on a
hard drive. Native dos fdisk/format is no good because it's not USB
aware. Is there any FBSD command or port I can use to reformat the UFS
hard drive with msdosfs?