Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:14:29 -0700
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Jon Dugan <jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, "freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Crystal SoundFusion (CS461x)

> I've got a what I believe is an CS461x chip in my Thinkpad 570E.  However,
> it doesn't want to work with 4.0-RELEASE.  It seems to detect it just fine,
> but when I try to play anything to it (via mpg123 or cat foo.au >
> /dev/audio)  I don't get any sound.  The mixer seems to work, as I can play
> a CD in the DVD-ROM drive and mess with the levels.

I've the same chip in my Dell Precision 420, and it works fine with
FreeBSD-4.0-STABLE. In particular, mpeg123 and cat'ing to /dev/audio works.

[larse@hbo: ~] cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Apr 18 2000 10:07:38
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

The only problem I have is using the mbone audio tools vat/rat, it seems
/dec/audio cannot be opened twice, once for reading, once for writing.

Lars