Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:25:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        martin@dynasuk.co.uk (Martin Hepworth)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: adding a second scsi drive

Martin Hepworth writes:

> Hi Guys
> I know this is probaly on the most popular questions that get posted
> here,

Well, I don't know if it's popular, but it's frequent :-)

> but how do you use disklable etc to get a second drive installed
> with freeBSD 2.1?

With great care.

> I've fdisked the drive, but disklabel complains that the label is not
> writable- huh?

Yup, that's one of the nice, user-friendly messages it produces.

> I'm running out of room rapidly on my main disk and need the second disk
> working. What am I doing wrong. my /etc/disktab looks ok to me.
>
> Anyone willing to talk me though in very easy clear steps as to what I
> should be checking to ge the thing going???

I'm working on an addition to the FreeBSD handbook to explain how to
do this.  You really need to pay extreme attention to detail, or
you'll end up with messages like you got.  In the meantime, it should
be available on ftp://freefall.FreeBSD.ORG/incoming/disksetup.ps.gz.
This is a prerelease version of the documentation; please let me know
if you find anything wrong or difficult to understand.

Greg