Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:03:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Schwartz <steve@server.gslink.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot Up

We run BSDI at work on our internet provider, so I decided to try and
install FreeBSD at home on my personal computer.  I went on irc and
talked to a few people in #FreeBSD and they told me that it is possible
to run FreeBSD along with Windows95 and WindowsNT 4.0.  After that, I
ftped into ftp.cdrom.com /pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/src and got the
boot.flp.  I also got the rawrite.exe out of
/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/tools.  I first tried to run rawrite.exe in
virgin dos.  I put in the disk, but the image onto it, and then rebooted,
and it gave me 'Read Error'.  I thought it was a disk problem so I put it
in another disk, copied the image to it also.  This time, when I rebooted
on it, it just sat there in the boot up.  It would begin to read off of
the floppy, (as if it was going to boot) but then the light would turn
off, and the computer woudl just sit there.  So I put that disk into the
computer that was sitting next to me (my brothers) and FreeBSD bootted up
perfectly.  It extracted the kernal, and came to a color menu with
installation options.  I am trying to figure out if there is a reason why
FreeBSD does not like my computer.  Is there anything that would prevent
it from booting? I have Windows95, WindowsNT4.0, and a free dos partition
that I was going to install Linux or FreeBSD on.  I have a 486/75Mhz with
8mb of ram.  My brothers is a 486/66 8mb ram.  I am confused what is
going on.  I am going to upgrade my computer to a Pentium 150mhz 16mb ram
June 20th, but I want to install FreeBSD too much, and can't wait.  I
think it would be neat to fool around with, and help me at my job.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve Schwartz -- steve@gslink.com
GlobeSat Communications Inc.
GSLink ISP Dept. -- Technical Support
(W) 703-716-9000 (Fax) 703-716-9003