Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:30:45 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        Laidler <laidler@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Installing

As it was put forth by Laidler on Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:30:55PM -0400...
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of exploring the world of FreeBSD so I have decided to go
> ahead and install FreeBSD4.3 on a laptop parition of 1.11gigs. First thing I
> would like to know is if this is enough for the base and X. Second, I want
> to install on a Fat32 partition so, sould I just boot from a win32 boot
> disk, format the drive, reboot and stick in the FreeBSD CD?
>
> Thanks for all your help

	1.11 gigs is enough for base and X.  You cannot install on a Fat32
partition.  You need to give FreeBSD its own slice(in FreeBSD lingo, what
you call a partition is a slice, and you cutup your FreeBSD slice into
partitions for /, /usr, /var, /tmp, etc.)  If the whole disk is Fat32 you
can use the free software called FIPS for shrinking this partition.  That
way you will have room for BSD.  After doing this, then put in the CDROM
and follow the instructions.  Make a backup of windows if you have anything
important on it.

Ian