Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:18:44 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Daniel Rock <D.Rock@t-online.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system deadlock in -CURRENT

In the last episode (Oct 23), Daniel Rock said:
> Daniel Rock schrieb:
> >I found an interesting problem during tracing my perl-5.8 problem I
> >mailed some days ago.
> >
> >Sometimes - I cannot forcibly reproduce this event - while I'm
> >trying to truss a process, I first get the following error message:
> >
> >/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.0# truss ./perl
> >truss: cannot open /proc/44502/mem: No such file or directory
> >or the following error message:
> >/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.0# truss ./perl
> >truss: PIOCWAIT: Input/output error
>
> A side note: The problem seems to be related with programs compiled with
> profiling enabled. trussing a normal program never showed this behaviour.

I have the same problem, but can pretty easily trigger it by trying to
truss a setuid binary.  Or maybe I always happen to truss setuid
binaries.  I don't have any programs built with profiling.  Anyway, the
behaviour is the same.  Truss once, get a no such file or directory
error.  Try again, and cwd is locked.  The process hangs either in
"inode" or more recently "ufs".

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com