Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 18:34:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Monitoring/Packet Sniffing?

I have been given the dubious task of 'administrating' our LAN and its
connection to the internet.  Recently our network will max out its
capacity, crippling everybody for a few moments until it recovers.  I
havn't been able to track anything more than bandwidth is spiking to
capacity.  Another admin where I work has an Ethernet monitor which
simply says 75% of it is from TCP/IP packets (we also run ethertalk).  We
have several leased connections, and our network itself is not of the
best design.

What I am looking for is programs of any sort which do _anything_ in
regard to monitoring network traffic.  Specifically, I would love
something which also tracked what IP addresses are hitting the top in
bandwidth.  The FreeBSD system I am thinking of sits in the middle of the
network, so should be able to see as easilly as any other (we do not
bridge nor do we have smart hubs, so it should see EVERYTHING).

-Brandon Gillespie-