Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 12:19:08 -0230 (NDT)
From:      Paul Manuel <paul8@cs.mun.ca>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel fails to compile with 64MB RAM

On 07-Aug-96 James Raynard wrote:

>> Is there a known problem with machines have 64MB or more of memory?
>
>No, except that you need to specify the amount of memory in the kernel
>config file if you want more than the first 64MB of RAM to be used.
>
>> I just purchased two P166 machines with 64MB EDO RAM and both fail with the
>> same errors when trying to compile the kernel.
>>
>> A couple of the errors are:
>>
>> -------------
>> /kernel: pid 1009 (cc1), uid 0: exited on signal 6
>> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
>> -------------
>>
>> -------------
>> assertion "(fragP->ft_next == 0) || ((fregP->fr_next-fr_address - fragP->fr_a
ddr
>> ess) == fragP->fr_fix)" failed: file "/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/as/write.c", line
354

>> /kernel: pid 1058 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 6
>> cc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 6
>> -------------
>
>Hmm.  Not sure what I can say here, except that signal 6 is SIGABRT
>and an assertion failure normally signifies a "can't happen" situation.
>Something is getting really screwed up here.
>
>> Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>> fault virtual address	= 0x88f1163d
>> fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
>> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xf018ad9c
>> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>> current process		= 1277 (make)
>> interrupt mask		=
>> panic: page fault
>>
>> syncing disks... etc
>> -------------
>
>Was this with version 2.1.5?  If so, do 'nm /kernel -n | more'
>and use send-pr to post the area around f018ad9c to the bugs list,
>together with the above description and your kernel config file
>(if you've customised the kernel) and someone *may* be able to track
>down the problem.
>
>If it was 2.1.0 or earlier, it's probably better to upgrade to 2.1.5,
>as quite a few bugs in the VM system (which is what this appears to
>be) were fixed in the last release.

Yes it is 2.1.5. I got the kernel to compile with 64MB of memory but I had
to turn off the external cache. With 32 and 16 megs of memory it works fine
with the external cache on. I have done what you suggested and a bug report
is on the way. Thanks for the reply.

Paul Manuel
Systems Programmer
Memorial University of NF