Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 06:59:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drives

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Darryl Bowler wrote:

> > I am ordering a new hard drive to run freebsd on and I have an adaptec
> > 2940 controller.  I am thinking about either a 2.1 gig Western Digital
> > Ultra Wide SCSI for $525, or a Quantum Atlas ultra-Wide 2.2 gig 5 yr
> > warranty for $450.  Does anyone have any recommendations ?  I am also
> > putting in a Intel EtherExpress 10/100 network card.  Is this card ok ?
> >

> I hear that the IBM Ultrastar was a good, fast disk at a reasonable price.
> My experience of Quantum Atlas, are that their are good disk, but get very
> hot very quickly.

I've used the Ultrastar...it's plenty fast for anything but a news server.
We've had more problems with the Adaptec 2940 controller code in FreeBSD
(scsi bus resets/timeouts) than anything else.  Supposedly fixed in 2.2.2
(I'm running 2.1-RELEASE) but since this is a production machine I can't
afford to upgrade via boot floopy and it seems that a few people are having
problems with the 'make world' upgrade path right now (not just with
"login: get_class" either :-)
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions