Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 12:15:22 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CODA on FreeBSD-CURRENT ... an interesting vm bug

"Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Well, the bug is not that interesting ...
>
> I tried cvsup into coda on a 11/05 kernel.  Doing cvsup'ing src
> worked, but then I switched the tag from RELENG_2_2 to . and
> the system crashed ...

> What is happening here is that coda_rdwr does a VFS_VGET to get a
> vnode the hardway.  The vnode comes back locked (probably thru vget)
> and is locked by the process "curproc" (cvsup in this case).  But
> coda_rdwr needs to unlock the vnode.  It gets its process pointer
> from the uio_procp field of the uio argument.  Well
> vnode_pager_input_old sets this field to 0 ... not curproc!  Thus
> the unlock fails with the panic above.
>
> moral: vnode_pager_input_old gets called in a process context so it
> should use curproc not 0 as its procp.
>
> I fixed a different coda/related bug in vnode_pager_input_coda
> earlier,  so if there are no major objections I will commit this
> change Fri noon.  With the earlier bug (look in the "current" archives
> for vnode_pager_input_old around Sep 28.), I determined that only
> coda used vnode_pager_input_old, so I don't expect this change to
> effect anyone besides Coda.

Well, though I don't have enough knowledge to understand what exactly
you meant, I'm glad to see that someone is actively working on coda.
I'm actually an newcomer to coda but as far I can understand it looks
very promising. Especially after having good client side on different
variants of Windows(9x|NT). I'm trying to push our sysadmin into coda
world but he is quite conservative 8-) and uses Linux. Well, that
doesn't matter.

Thanks

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee