Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:41:08 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Still, no-joy with kdm......

--On Monday, August 18, 2008 16:43:23 -0700 Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
wrote:

> 	Guys,
>
> 	Im looking at the kdmrc file but don't see anything wrong.
> 	Any ideas where to llook next?

I use kde every day, and I don't have a kdmrc file.

You can start kde several ways.  One way is to login as root and type "kdm" at
the prompt.  Another is to edit /etc/ttys the way the Handbook describes.  (You
can read that yourself.)  Another way is to use an xinitrc file.  (That's in
the Handbook as well.)

The reason kdm can't create its pid file is most likely because you're trying
to start it under your account instead of root.

> 	gary
>
> 	PS: what is the startup for exec'ing gnome??

echo 'gnome_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

That's in the Handbook as well.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
Check the headers before clicking on Reply.