Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:59:11 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
To:        "Desai, Kashyap" <Kashyap.Desai@lsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Driver for MegaRaid 6Gb/s and 12Gb/s Card

On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:44 AM, "Desai, Kashyap" <Kashyap.Desai@lsi.com> =
wrote:

>=20
mrsas driver is submitted. With this, we will provide device.hint =
tunable option for customer to load mfi vs mrsas for Thunderbolt card.
> Best solution is not to have two drivers works with same hardware, but =
due to development cycle LSI added immediate support for
> Thunderbolt card in current mfi driver. Now we have new driver =
developed for the same card "mrsas".
>=20
> Customer also wanted to provide choice between mfi vs mrsas for =
Thunderbolt card until they found "mrsas" is working fine without any =
major issue for them.
> LSI decided based on customer request and they did not wanted to force =
customers to use "mrsas" driver as immediate effect. There may be some =
customer who are using "mfi" driver in production environment and do not =
want to switch to "mrsas" if they upgrade FeeBSD kernel.
>=20
> This provision of mfi vs mrsas priority is only temporary and in =
future, we should plan to remove Thunderbolt (Device ID 0x005B) from mfi =
because LSI will continue new development on "mrsas"

What will the exposed device names of the arrays be under the new =
driver?  Will it still be /dev/mfid* ?  If it's not, then this is where =
the problem lies.  Many users still use device names in their /etc/fstab =
for mounting all of their filesystems at boot.  If you have two drivers =
that will compete for the same hardware and give that hardware different =
names, they will break the fstab files for those users and they upgrade =
over time.  A similar situation occurred several years ago with the =
Intel e1000 driver; it was split into two drivers, with certain hardware =
that was supported by the old hardware going to the new driver.  That =
broke the network configuration for many users and caused years of pain =
and unhappiness as users upgraded and were hit by the switch.  We don't =
want that to happen here.

The real solution is that we need to have a single common naming =
convention for all disks (and for network interfaces), and leave the =
details of individual driver names out of the configuration part of the =
system.  That's not likely to happen any time soon.  The other solution =
is to mandate that users use volume labels for mounting their =
filesystems, but that's not likely to happen either, and even if it did, =
it present challenges for migrating existing users.  The only remaining =
solution that I can think of is to have the mfi and mrsas drivers share =
the same devclass for their disk interfaces (mfid*), but that's a hack =
that has not been fully explored in FreeBSD.  Still, I'd encourage you =
to try it and see if you can make it work.  If you have any problems, =
email me directly.

Scott