Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:31:27 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Varuna <varuna@eudaemonicsystems.net>
Subject:   Re: man page for dhclient.conf(5) error in script location

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:12:21PM +0000, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Varuna wrote:
>=20
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > The man page dhclient.conf(5) under FreeBSD 8.0 has an error in the scr=
ipt
> > location indicated in the EXAMPLES.  The script dhclient-script is indi=
cated to
> > be under /etc, while it is located under /sbin.
>=20
> I do not believe this is an error.
> Per dhclient.conf.5, the script directive specifies a DHCP client=20
> configuration script, and in the example given in the EXAMPLES section, i=
t=20
> is entirely reasonable to have a custom configuration script for that=20
> interface.  In that case, the default /sbin/dhclient-script would not be=
=20
> appropriate, and a custom version of it needed. Putting such a custom=20
> configuration script in /etc is in keeping with the traditional location=
=20
> for system configuration files.
>=20

I personally feel it should be made more clear in the dhclient.conf(5)
manual, maybe by a comment in the sample configuration?

Alternatively, it can be updated to /usr/local/etc (for example), but
that assumes /usr and its children filessytems are available and
mounted at the time the script is run.

Glen

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7--