Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:54:03 -0400
From:      "William A. Maniatty" <maniatty@cs.albany.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        maniatty@cs.albany.edu
Subject:   Current (as of 04/23/2001) 1000BaseT NICS

Hello All:

I'm trying to configure a cluster, and would like to employ some of the
current cost effective NICS (less than $200/NIC).  I've tried the newsgroups
to no-avail, can anyone make specific recommendations.  I'd like to try both
Linux and FreeBSD on the nodes, and was thinking that perhaps some
vendors were releasing cards with compatible chip sets but that the on-line
documentation had fallen out of date.

Among the vendor offerings under consideration include the:
     1) 3COM 3C996T
     2) Asante Giganix 1000T (or 1000TPC)

Can anyone tell me why the Asante Giganix is NOT listed under the
revision 1.113, but not under revision 1.39.2.39 of the file:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/release/texts/HARDWARE.TXT

Regards:

Bill Maniatty

--
|Dr. William (Bill) A. Maniatty            |