Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:51:13 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Martin Moeller <martian@t-online.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail sorting

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:44:21AM +0200, Martin Moeller wrote:

> Is there a possibility to locally/automatically sort the mail into
> different mailboxes for one user? I have to get my mail from a POP3
> server.  At the moment I do this with spruce but it would be nice if
> this also could be done automatically.
>
> Can anyone tell me what software and documentation I need for this
> task?

I use a combination of:

  sendmail:
	for delivering mail locally and remotely.

  fetchmail:
	for popping my mail home and feeding them to my sendmail.

  procmail:
        for sendmail's local delivery agent, and filtering mail to my
        mailboxes.

The setup of these programs is not too complicated, but as a newbie it
might seem a bit intimidating at first.  For sendmail setup, I suggest
the excellent "Sendmail" book of O'Reilly.  Fetchmail and procmail
should be easier to play with, and their manpages are fairly complete
and usually sufficient resources.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr