Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 16:51:11 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   What kind of attack is this?

Ok, I'm observing what may be our first real attack.  It's focused on a
particular IP address, and we have suspicions as to who it may be, but
anyway...

Using trafshow, I'm observing tons of UDP packets being sent to one system
from seemingly random IP addresses (probably spoofed) all over the place,
with the system responding in turn with ICMP packets to each.

I know that's what firewalls are for, and that's why I'm working on
one.  Holdup is time-constraints and red-tape and corporate politics and
screwed up priorities and so on, so let's just leave it that the firewall
is coming but is not here yet (if you remember back, this is the company
that wants to use MS Proxy).

I can't just block all incoming UDP packets because they are used by other
applications.

So how does one protect themselves against such an attack?  I have an
Ascend Pipeline 50 router which I'm trying to sort out from the manuals a
way to use its filters and how it behaves if rules overlap (what I'm
thinking is trying to find a way to block all incoming UDP packets EXCEPT
the type which are known to be good).

And the $1M question: with spoofed source addresses, how does one track
down and nail the culprit?  Because we have a very good idea as to the
source, if we know their router's IP, can we confirm whether a spoofed
packet traveled along that route?

Anyhow, it died down a moment ago, so there's nothing more for me to
watch.  Wasn't a big crisis and the person just used someone else's while I
let the lamb be sacrificed so I could observe (only thing it did was bog it
down).  I welcome any input on this (be nice to me), and look forward to
using this episode as an educational exercise.

Thanks