Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 00:21:51 -0400
From:      Wilson MacGyver <macgyver@infinet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP over serial port coxist with NE2000?

I have a question, I'm trying to install a BSD release 2.1 machine
at work. During the install, I configure the NE2000 for TCP/IP,
so far so good. Before I exit the sysinstall program, I then
choose to set up PPP for serial by using the following method:
I set the medium to ftp, and choose to grab DES using PPP
over COM2 which is connected to a modem. The PPP (tun0) connected
to my ISP fine, but it seems to not able to resolve the ftp.freebsd.org.
I did check the DNS entry, it's pointed to the correct site.

I reboot via exiting the sysinstall, I can telnet to anywhere within
the local TCP/IP LAN fine, but ppp has the same problem as above.

The strange thing is, the exact same procedure works with my BSD
machine at work, though the home machine does not have any network
card in it...