Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:17:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        michaelnottebrock@gmx.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dropping 127.* on the floor

In message: <3C5DE578.4020409@gmx.net>
            Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net> writes:
: Greg Prosser wrote:
:
: > FWIW, my problem was a change in the ip stack.
: >
: > We now drop 127.* packets on the floor if they come in across an interface
: > that is not lo0.  Since ipnat redirect rules happen below the ip stack,
: > packets which are rewritten by ipnat to use a 127.* address get dropped on
: > the floor when they enter the stack.  ipnat records the redirect as having
: > worked, but the packet just disappears silently.  This totally breaks
: > my transparent proxy, as I forward the connections to 127.0.0.1 via ipnat.
:
:
: Ugh. This probably means that transparent squid proxying will also break
: and _that_ scares me (no touchy cvsup for my -STABLE box). You might
: want to contact the committer about this.

It is certainly looking like this change will be backed out.  It is
well intended, but breaks too many things. :-(

Warner