Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:15:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com (S)
Cc:        eric@sendmail.org, igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New sendmail bug...

> But if one does have to run 8.7.6 until they have time to breath, does
> anyone know if the error that Igor and I are seeing compiling 8.7.6 from
> -stable can be avoided?  I first patched with the 2 line setgid, setuid
> patch I saw on the list, then I grabbed what was in the current -stable
> source and got the same error as Igor.  It compiled after deleting the
> line in main.c that I saw in the errors, and it seems to work, but
> reckless deletion scares me.  I wonder what the line was for....
>
> Anyhow, any help is appreciated.

Someone (who shall remain nameless) has commited a bad patch into the
RELENG_2_1_0 branch.  What is in there does not compile, I get the
exact same error that this person has reported, and this is on a
prestine RELENG_2_1_0 compile engine.... this error occured during
a ``make world'', so if _vendor_daemon_setup is suppose to be defined
someplace else we have a build cycle problem, if sendmail is suppose
to have source code for this, someone missed a piece of the patch :-(.

PLEASE FIX ASAP, as all -Stable users trying to update via the normal
mechanisms to fix the sendmail security problem are going to have builds
that blow up in there face.

> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>
> On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Eric Allman wrote:
>
> > This patch is against 8.8.2, not 8.7.6.  You need to upgrade to 8.8;
> > 8.7.x is no long supported.
> >
> > eric

> > : From:  igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
> > : Subject:  Re: New sendmail bug...
> > : Date:  Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:12:33 -0600 (CST)
> >
> > : Hello!
> > :
> > : May be I am missing something,
> > : but I was not able to compile the patched version
> > : of the sendmail 8.7.6.4,
> > : as it appears in FreeBSD distribution (sup.freebsd.org).
> > :
> > : main.o: Undefined symbol `_vendor_daemon_setup' referenced from text segment
> > : *** Error code 1

Yepp... the source tree is muffed up :-(.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD