Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2014 03:40:25 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: missing man pages

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 18:27:50 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <20140429025744.5cab7f04.freebsd@edvax.de>,
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>
> >Note that there are exceptions. Even software which isn't
> >actually open source can provide useful manpages. Here are
> >some of my favourite examples:
> >
> >	% man mplayer
> >	% man opera
> >	% man audacity
> >	% man gimp
> >	% man X
>
> ????
>
> Mplayer, Gimp, and X are _not_ open source???
>
> That's certainly news to me!

Exactly _one_ of those isn't open source: It's Opera. But
even Opera has a manpage. Imagine, a program which you don't
get the source code of has a manpage by default!

The other examples should simply illustrate that programs
which are primarily GUI-oriented can provide manpages. So
"examples" refers to software with manpages, not closed
source software (which is just included here).

Note that English is not my native language and furthermore
I'm quite stupid, so my writing skills are not that good. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany