Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 18:32:15 +0200
From:      Rob Simons <rob@Simplex.NL>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rob@Simplex.NL
Subject:   pppd acting up

Hi,

I've just set up FreeBSD 2.0.5 as PPP server for multiple clients,
and now see something strange happening.
I've got two sepparate versions of pppd, one for static ip's with pap
authentication, and one for dynamic ip's. The first reads the normal
/etc/ppp/options file. The dynamic version doesn't look at the options
file, but looks at the /etc/ppp/options.tty files in stead.

When I start the dynamic version, nothing's amiss, but when a user logs
on with the static version, the pppd in question uses 100% CPU or more
(doesn't seem to do the system much damage however) and doesn't get
killed when the user hangs up. The pppd remains active even after the
modem has hung up. A normal 'kill pid' doesn't work, it needs a 'kill -9
pid' to kick the pppd of the system. Of course this doesn't do the
routing tables much good.

Does anyone have any clue to what is happening here ?

my options file for static pppd:

crtscts
asyncmap a0000
proxyarp
debug
modem
+pap
passive
name xs1
auth

My options file for dynamic pppd:  (note: this is different ip's for
                                    each serial)

crtscts
asyncmap a0000
modem
passive
:193.78.46.200
remotename PPP46-200

Should I kick the 'passive' out in both options files ?

Anyone any suggestions why the difference in behaviour ?  The setup
above has worked fine with NetBSD, same version of pppd, and with
FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 some other version of pppd, dunno which.

- Rob.

/*   Rob Simons                      |  rob@simplex.nl          *\
/*   Novell Netware System Operator  |  UNIX system operator    *\