Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:44:42 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl crashing - how to debug??

in message <3DB48A31.90205@potentialtech.com>,
wrote Bill Moran thusly...

> How can I get perl built with debugging symbols so I can dig into
> this?  I'm a little confused by the build process.

this is for perl port...

supply -DDEBUGGING option to make when building/installing, along w/
"-g" to the compiler.  one way to do that is to edit /etc/make.conf
such that CFLAGS has "-g" assigned to it...

  # in /etc/make.conf
  CFLAGS= -O -pipe -g

...you can also edit the perl port Makefile if you like to include
both options.

mind you that perl5.6 port w/ "-DDEBUGGING" option alone didn't
build w/ the debugging support the last time i tried.  "-g" option
was necessary in addition.

  - parv