Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:37:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        najib@csi-x.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem compiling -STABLE

Muhammad Najib wrote:
> I was wondering .. before this I could compile 2.2.7-STABLE .. but then recently
> I did cvsup for RELENG_2_2's src-sys and I got this message when I config the
> config file
>
> csi-x# config JeEbSioN
> Unknown % construct in generic makefile: %VERSREQ=       220000
> Kernel build directory is ../../compile/JeEbSioN
> csi-x#
>
> hence ... I just ignore this particular problem .. but then when I finished
> doing make depend .. and I start doing make ... half way it stop with this error(s)
>

> cc -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith  -nostdinc -I- -I.
> -I../.. -I/usr/include -DAPM_BROKEN_STATCLOCK -DIPDIVERT -DFAILSAFE -DCOMPAT_43
> -DMSDOSFS -DNFS -DFFS -DIPFILTER -DINET -DKERNEL -c vers.c
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> isa.o: Undefined symbol `_isa_devtab_cam' referenced from text segment
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> csi-x#
>
> I wonder ... what I did wrong here .... please point me :)
> Thanx in advance ...

You need to go into /usr/src/usr.sbin/config and do a 'make install'.  Config
has changed recently, making it necessary to update it before trying to build
a kernel.

I found out the hard way myself, but in general when something like this
happens, updating config first is usually a good thing to try.  If that
fails, _then_ ask the list.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com