Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:03:47 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 04:51:33PM -0700, youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:

> My opinion is that there should be a threshold value empirically derived =
by=20
> the developer / retrieved by bug reports, as well as a knob, to specify t=
he=20
> maximum number of parallel jobs to be used for a particular port, that wa=
y=20
> you don't get people accidentally specifying, say 10 jobs when it can onl=
y=20
> handle 2-3.

That's a false dichotomy; either a port correctly specifies its
dependency ordering in which case it will build under all
circumstances, or it does not, in which case it may randomly fail due
to factors other than -j value, including system load, CPU vs I/O
speed, etc.

Kris
--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50--