Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:54:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting to Stable and boot floppies

Please don't cc to multiple lists, especially ones you aren't subscribed
to.

Anyhow...

I think what you mean is "Where are my install floppies?" well, the
install floppis aren't built unless you do a "make release" in the top of
the source tree.  This takes a long time depending on your processor and
requires something outrageous like 600megs of disk (well not that bad, but
for some people it is)

What i suggest is downloading a -stable "SNAP" you can get them from both
ftp.freebsd.org and ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ those
directories have boot floppies in them as well as the binaries for a
-stable install from the date encoded in the directory name.

Please don't flame me if the boot floppies got easier to make in the last
month as i havne't seen any anouncements. :)

If you just want a FreeBSD boot floppy and not an install disk, look at
PicoBSD i think it's in -stable as well as -current, you also have the
option of using kzip to fit a kernel onto a floppy and using disklabel to
make that floppy bootable.

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current