Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mervyn Ah-Young <merv@planet.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Mervyn Ah-Young wrote:

> My name is Mervyn Ah-Young and I am from TABCorp Holdings.

Hello!

> We run a mission critical gaming network with over 12,000
> gaming machines.

Impressive!

> These RPS's are currently running a DOS based polling application
> and we are planning to move to FreeBSD 2.2.2 in the near future.

Good choice.

> Questions:
>
> What type of redundancy facility does FreeBSD offer?  We are looking
> at having two Fast Ethernet cards in each RPS.  If one LANCard
> fails, does FreeBSD have the ability to automatically re-route
> packets to the secondary backup LANCard transparently?

Redundancy depends on what systems you're interested in.  In your example,
it's not difficult to write a script periodically that pings a known
reachable host; if the pings don't come back, the interface may have died.
In terms of redundant disks, the DPT RAID cards are well supported, as
well as a software mirroring / striping driver called `ccd' that comes
with the system.

> Does FreeBSD have built in SNMP MIB support?

I don't think it comes with the stock system, but the scotty package would
add some of this functionality.  Using SNMP on FreeBSD isn't something
I've experimented with yet however.  Perhaps someone else can elaborate
here.

> To what level is ATM supported under FreeBSD?

It is supported by several research projects and a commercial stack.  The
overwhelming suggestion in the mailing archives is to contact
freebsd-atm@freebsd.org for further information.

> I would appreciate any information you could give me on this O/S.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any other questions.  Take the
opportunity to visit http://www.freebsd.org and look through the Handbook,
FAQ, and mail archives.  There is lots of helpful information archived
there.