Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:22:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> Yes, it would require a lot of work in the ISA area, but the PCI and EISA
> code could be changed to work this way rather easily.  My init order
> is slightly different though:
[...]
> The listing is not complete, but you get the idea.  You should keep this
> in mind while doing your PnP work since I think this is the approach
> we should be shooting for.

I have been keeping this in mind while I was coding.  To change over to
a scheme that you described would be very simple.  Right now, I just
gather the PnP configuration information from the kernel configuration;
this would simply change to information from PCI/EISA/ISA probes, after
the ISA code was cleaned up.

A couple of quick questions:  Is there a unified structure where one can
access the information from PCI/EISA/ISA probes?  How well can the ISA
code non-invasively probe devices (currently)?

Sujal